The last sale I stopped at had a box of records. So i flipped through them and found these for $1 each! The covers are not in the greatest shape..but hey can’t complain for $1. And stuck inside the Simmons Meteor was the Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits Picture Disc!!
Just got around to watching the season finale of Two and Half Men, and could not help but laugh at the KISS reference. Have upped it for you to see! Enjoy!!
Ok…to start off I don’t have the disc in my hands. I did not shell out $150 for this. But if you know where to look, I got in FLAC format. So I can only review what is on the disc and show itself.
Setlist – Standard Alive II show…nothing special
Sound – Rally good audience recording for 1978. Guitars come and go at times, drums seem a bit distant, the bass is pretty loud, and the vocals are sometimes hard to hear.
The only other version of this that I had was an MP3 sourced version. Below is the first song (I Stole Your Love) from both versions (the mp3 sourced show, and the new Tarantura cd).
With that being said….here are the notes that I took while listing to the show.
1) Monitor Check – Crowd really sounds like a good one!
2) Peter starts drumming a bit during the “You Wanted The Best” intro
3)I Stole Your Love
– The start of the song is all messed up! Kind of sounded like Gene started to play the song before the intro was over!
– Paul sounds really into the show
– Turns into a really good version of the song
4)King Of The Night Time World
– Ace holds the beginning feedback longer than normal
– Either the guitars are hard to hear or Ace is stopping in some weird places
– Decent version…just ok
– Some really bad notes hit in the ending
– Crowd still seems hot!
+Rap – Paul asks if everybody feels alright and the crowd screams back “Alright” VERY LOUD!
5) Ladies Room
– Genes vocals not as loud as Paul’s. Tad bit hard to hear at times
– Ace does some nice (and different) fills before they get the first chorus!
– Again before the 2nd verse, Ace is doing some fills!!
– When Gene yells “NO” before each chorus, it sounds like he is in pain “Nooo Woooo Wooo”, BUT full of energy
– Really nice version, a bit different than normal
– Seems a bit fast
– Decent version
– Nothing Special
– Crowd really gets excited when Gene breathes fire!
7) Love Gun
– Opening drum part seems a bit short
– Crowd still just clapping along
– Background vocals are horrible during the chorus
– Seems a bit sloppy
– Paul is really trying to hit some high notes towards the end…not good!
– Not a very good version of this song at all!
+Rap – Paul does a call & response of “Rock N Roll” and the crowd seems way into the show!
8) Let Me Go Rock N Roll
– Gene still sounds like he is in pain dragging out the “Rock N Roll” at the start of the song
– Gene seems to be screaming a bit much
– Decent version so far!
– Different version that what I am used to (maybe not for this tour), but no bass to drum part in the middle. Goes straight to the ending guitar parts
– Very short version
9) Makin Love
– Never heard Paul use the opening “Tell you what I want to do…I want to make to you!!”, then song starts
– Seems a bit fast
– Bit of a different lyric, instead of “She says stop, baby go, go, go” the line is “She says stop, I say go!”
– Decent version, not bad
10) Christine Sixteen
– Start of the song all messed up. Almost like Peter & Gene are not in time together
– Gene actually sings the first verse….no growl!
– Ok version, never one of my fav. songs live
– The clapping along is getting a bit old
+Rap – After Paul says “We got a surprise for you tonight”, Ace gets a nice reaction from the crowd!
11) Shock Me
– Again with the clapping
– So far really good version
+SOLO – The first of the solo almost sounds like the opening to “Speedin Back To My Baby”
-One of my fav. parts of the show…sounds like a good solo…wish I could see it
– Really weird sound at the end of the smoking guitar part
(sounds like there is a small cut in the tape here)
12) I Want You
– SO far really tight version
– Always wondered why they added the extra part right before the solos
– Best they have sounded as a band on the whole disc
– The crowd is AMAZING during the call & response at the end!
+Rap – Instead of “were gonna call out the Dr.”…Pauls says “We are gonna listen to the Dr.” and the crowd yells “LOVE!”
1) Calling Dr. Love
– Pretty good version, band seems to have hit it’s stride for the show!
– Peter sounds like he is playing with some “pep” during the solo
– Weird echo effect on the “Yeah” at the end
2) Shout It Out Loud
– The clapping along is really getting annoying
– So far, so good. Crowd sings along well during the 1st verse
– Gene, at times, is getting carried away screaming
– Not one of my favs, but a good version
– Peter screams like crazy at one point towards the end
+ Bass Solo – Does not sound as “demon” like we are used too
– At one point..almost sounds like a guitar / or synth is playing with him…strange
3) God Of Thunder
– Must be the sound of the bass, but the beginning does not sound right at all
– Decent version after that, just sounds like a different key or something!
+ Drum Solo – Don’t know why, but the first of the solo feels very jazzy & upbeat!
– Crowd really seems to be enjoying it, might be the best response to a drum solo ever!
– Ok solo..but I could do with out it
+God Of Thunder (end) – Bass still sounds funny to me
4) Rock N Roll All Nite
– Again crowd just clapping along!
– Guitars have become almost non existent until the chorus
– Paul yells “Put the lights on” after solo
– Just a tad fast, but a good version
5) Detroit Rock City
– Start of the song is the first explosion I have noticed
– Crowd singing along well during the “Get Up” & “Get Down” parts
– So far a really good version…just a tad fast
– Crowd goes crazy when the song starts
– Peter doing a really nice version of the song
– Really good version!
7) Black Diamond
– Paul really holding the feedback in the into when the distortion kicks in
– Sounds like the crowd is really screaming “Black Diamond”
– At times seems a bit sloppy
– Solo very hard to hear!
Found this waiting in the mailbox when I got home today!! All in all not to bad. Would I have paid $45 for it had I not got the pre sale password…HELL NO! I’m cheap like that. But considering for $45 I got a shirt I will wear, bracelet I will wear, a key chain I might use, a membership card I have no idea what to do with, and the pre sale password to get a front row seat!! So in the end…worth every penny!!! The only real complaint I have is the T-Shirt looks a little on the cheap side. Plus no printing on the back.